Horses on The Galapagos

The horses who had been introduced by humans to the Galapagos Islands in the early 20th century could adapt to the strong and difficult environment of Galapagos with its climate changes, like humidity and long dry periods, because they are smart survival artists.

Their species exists 50 million years on our planet.

So far horses would never have selected this environment to live on, because their natural origin is the desert zone with plenty of dry or fresh grass and water flows like rivers or lakes.

To be free, they always move to different spots, until they get what they need.

On the Galapagos Islands , we find the horses in the agriculture zones in limited populated areas of 3% from the whole land mass of the Galapagos Archipelago. The other 97% is National Park area, here are no introduced species allowed.

Horses here are fenced in or tied up and not free.

Especially the dry weather and the limited water resources make it hard for our four legged friends to find the nutrition they need to be strong and healthy. Often they struggle with the consequences until there is no fight left.

Horses are tied with ropes that leave permanent scars on their skin.

Many horses are in bad condition.

It’s very common to see horses run around free on the streets, starved and looking for food.

Many horses have lice and ticks.

Even under the tail it looks bad.

Rainrot is found on many horses, but left untreatred.

The ears are full of ticks.

A foal got hit by a car and left on the side of the road.

The leg injury was so bad it had to be put down.

Many horses are tied up with no food or water.

Due to the issues, many horses are severely starved.

Translate »
Scroll to Top